Sunday 2 July 2023

BREAKOUT / TERRITORIAL HITS 1955-1969

 

In the 13th edition of Top Pop Hits (1955-2010) Joel Whitburn introduced new, never-before-seen research of the songs and artists that hit only on Billboard's influential Territorial and Breakout charts. 

Billboard  published the Territorial Top 10 Best Selling  charts, which were separate rankings of the Top 10 hits from 23 major cities, weekly from January 1, 1955 through October 13, 1958.
Billboard  introduced its Breakout Singles chart on January 9, 1961. The chart listed new records, not yet on Hot 100, but have been reported getting strong sales action by dealers in 34 major markets.

Both charts have been researched for hits which made these charts but did not make any of the other charts researched already, i.e. all Billboard, Cash Box, Music Vendor (Record World), Gavin Report. Hits that entered other charts as flips are also excluded. In other words, only singles that have not yet been researched (posted) are included.

Breakout
390 singles, 780 tracks (26 files)
around forty singles from the original 45's (from my record collection)
8 tracks missing, 1967-69 only, 
denoted on the sheet  Breakout Hits tracks
Please help me to reduce the wish-list
BH01  BH02  BH03  BH04  BH05  BH06  BH07  BH08  BH09  BH10  BH11  BH12  BH13  BH14  
BH15  BH16  BH17  BH18  BH19  BH20  BH21  BH22  BH23  BH24  BH25  BH26

Territorial (US pressing only)
70 singles, 140 tracks (5 files)
no missing tracks, around ten singles from my record collection
TH01  TH02  TH03  TH04  TH05

Please do not send “what is a pass” request, please read

Previously posted files can be found below this post Observations after five years


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really happy to have finally found something for you again, Prof:
Visuals, The - mybe you
i was find
i found it in my collection.
Unfortunately I'm having trouble uploading the song to the web because of my eyes (You know..) I'll try to send the MP3 directly to your email address as soon as I'm home tomorrow.
Greetings
ernie from Nürnberg

Manny Kent said...

Hi Prof

7 Missing Tracks for you with varying bit rates

*Twilighters - thumper
*Triumphs - on the loose
*Fred Towles & The Jacksonians - hook it to the mule instrumental
*The Legends - my love for you
*Barbara & Brenda - Sally's Party
*Charlie Allen - Wheelin ' & Dealin'
*Nancy Ames - On Green Dolphin Street

https://mega.nz/file/n9NCGDLa#eTWxgaQ8zfd7jQdC2IcZBdED55mZiIjGsvPWYPYWMYw

Manny Kent said...

I also have the full album version of the Country Joe single, "Rock & Soul" from the Together Album but I assumed you wanted the single edits and its not readily apparent what those might be from the album track.

Professor RnR said...

Many thanks Manny, five less (now only 17)
- Barbara & Brenda sounds like via-microphone recording, only frequencies around 1kHz and impossible to improve, add something that is missing
- Fred Towles: Instrumental B-side is missing
- Country Joe single edits are missing
You have to agree that, in majority, these Breakout Hits, both As & Bs are real gems, treasures to me and followers of the blog. Last weekend I have ordered around fifty singles and will share them soon (they should arrive within this Summer).

Manny Kent said...

Indeed I was surprised how good some of the tracks are. I'll check those two again and may have another source for the Barbara and Brenda track. I need to take a close look at them though

As I said I didn't include the Country Joe edits because I haven't been able to find the single itself and only have the album track.

Manny Kent said...

Hi prof

Okay - apologies for the Fred Towles track , I simply didn't check the title properly. Anyway I've obtained the other version of the Barbara and Brenda file which I suspect is the original file with the other being an upscaled version of it. I've included the upscaled version to

In addition I've also located the following:

Jimmie Clark - That's A What I Want

And from the main list

Steve Arlen - Down In The Valley
Billie Anthony - (Don't let The) Kiddygeddin

https://mega.nz/file/3411nAbA#WgoQT1_FBMirPcnHaj14tDKoTMgYebogHGbYV1mNn44


All low bitrate unfortunately. Anyway I hope they are of use

Manny

Professor RnR said...

Many thanks Manny,
Unfortunately only Anthony's track is OK.
Barbara & Brenda and Arlen tracks are recorded via microphone. Very flat frequency range (1kHz =-500Hz, typical for standard microphone for speech transmision), serious humming on BB track, echo on Arlen's track. These tracks can't be repaired. Echo can't be removed, frequencies cut by a microphone can't be restored. Good music has to sound good, this is my motto.
I have found Clark's track on YouTube and will select the better.

Professor RnR said...

Many thanks Tom,
Sally's Party - sound quality is perfect
Sugar Pie - I have received the same copy from Manny. It is evidently microphone recording, flat frequency range (typical for speech microphone) + echo. I have compared this recording with the A-side (Never Love A Robin), taken from HQ CD - sound difference is tremendous.

Tom said...

HI, did you mean Sugar Pie was good not Slly's Party? If so, here is another Sally's Party.
https://mega.nz/file/JJwnXabD#EIS79xDWqcypn1o7RsZMuMb_ZWaU3W_AHCtZf3VlYt4

Professor RnR said...

All copies of Sally's Party that I have received are actually the same rip, made via microphone - to be sure I have compared Audacity waveform. Bandwidth typical for speech recording, all frequencies around 1Khz and it is impossible to restore frequencies that are not recorded. The A-side, taken from the HQ CD sounds perfect, then, I can expect that original recording of the B-side has the same sound quality.

Barb said...

Where can I find the 26 files for this collection?

Tom said...

This copy of Sally's Party is from a 2021 Dynamo Records Singles Collection that I downloaded, hope it is not the same file as before.
https://mega.nz/file/wMpFVDDL#JAgqsZ-g89fC7hr6r826C_htNRAuv-BSFUcxl4kgQGE

Professor RnR said...

Yes Tom, this is the same rip, microphone recording. I have spent one hour to compare waveforms of all copies. All have a click at 8.7 sec, then clicks at the end and humming. Your last copy is edited, click at 8.7 sec is cut, ending is faded but humming can be heard. Somebody made a poor rip and then this rip has been repeated on different budget CDs. Price of this single is enormously high, >100€. Why? Sally's Party is just another filler, definitely not a killer.

Professor RnR said...

Be patient Barb. Completing the music is the preliminary stage. I have ordered around 40 singles. They should arrive this Summer. Then, I should start posting in September.